About This Site

A comprehensive site outlining the causes, management and solutions to the homeless mentally ill.

Monday, July 9, 2007

Nadia writes in

Bruce,


sorry it took me a while to get back to you about your new blog. I've just finished reading through all your posts.I have to say my first reaction was excitement that someone decided to blog about this topic.

When I was in Calgary my bus went past this huge building with people crammed onto the cement outside and then i saw the 'homeless shelter' sign. Up until then I hadn't realized how many people must have moved to Calgary for work.

The only other thing I've come into contact with about this is a few isolated articles (from some Edmonton newspaper) condemning the housing shortage in Calgary.

This blog is totally cool for a few reasons.It's really easy to read (it flows like a narrative, like you're speaking) and each piece is a comprehensive synthesis of a lot of research. not only that, but you're attacking a huge issue (that to me seems overwhelming) with really specific questions, and as an interested reader i'm less intimidated by the scope of the topic.

not only that, but your focus on homeless people who are mentally ill is completely new to me. it never occured to me that there was another category of people besides working poor and drug addicts.

this is something that piqued my curiosity but that felt too big to tackle all by myself. and i like that your blog doesn't just want to outline the problem, it also wants to find possible actions or solutions.

what made you get interested in it? i'd like to know.cool blog, and i thought your first video broadcast was fine!

Nadia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OI read the response you got to your blog - from Nadia - that is awesome! Who is Nadia? Is it someone you know or a random person who came across it...or is it Nadia Rushdy? That is great that you got such positive feedback - it is inspiring! Love, Roxy

Bruce Rout said...

OK Nadia, I've changed the vid back to the original. Another old man sitting by the river and mumbling something about mental illness. I may as well go for it. I'm not that smooth in front of a camera and I may as well let people see me as I really am. I'm not ready yet to sayu totally why I chose to talk about mental illness. Let's just say for now it's personal and I'll mayube get around to it later.